A food craving is an intense desire for a certain food and is different from normal hunger. In fact, you feel like you cannot make it if, you do not get that particular food.
Nutritionists say those food cravings last only about 3-5 minutes. Also, we often crave for the nutrient value of that food, not for the food we want. Junk foods cravings may seem uncontrollable because they are high in sugar, salt, and fat.
Sometimes not eating enough vitamins, minerals and other nutrients can leave you feeling hungry. Food cravings can also be caused by the desire to eat foods for pleasure, especially if a person eats for comfort.
Here are the surprising meanings, when your body experiences food cravings:
- Mayo – There are periods when you can’t resist the essence of mayo (despite the fact it comes with an extreme amount of calories). This means you need vitamin A (from the egg yolk), and vitamin E (from the oil). Both of these vitamins are essential for skin health.
- Chocolate – Cocoa causes a temporary increase in serotonin, which calms your mood and makes you happier. With this in mind, when we have a powerful urge for eating chocolate it is possible that we are in a bad mood or unhappily in love.
- Peanuts – If you have a low hemoglobin level, these nuts are perfect. They are rich in amino acids, which helps in the creation of hemoglobin in the blood. Therefore, when you have an uncontrollable desire for peanuts, it is preferable to check the level of iron in your blood.
- Chips – The desire for chips, means your body needs sugar. In general, chips contain a high percentage of sugar and refined carbohydrates.
- Hamburger – Often people crave for burgers or steaks. Efficient muscle work is stimulated by proteins and amino acids which helps calcium bind with bones. Thus, results in strengthening the entire bone-system.