Experts are constantly warning about a sedentary lifestyle since it has a detrimental effect on your health. In fact, prolonged sitting can seriously endanger your health. Also, it can lead to health issues such as cardiovascular problems, type 2 diabetes, and even premature death.
In particular, the dangers of sitting too long are on the same level as smoking due to the negative effects. Therefore, many types of research say that sitting is the new smoking bad habit.
Here are 11 reasons why you should avoid the dangers of sitting for too long:
1. People who spend the majority of their day sitting raise their risk of colon, lung, and endometrial cancer. On the other hand, older women can develop breast and endometrial cancer.
2. Even individuals who exercise regularly sitting for too long have a higher risk of premature death.
3. There is no exception even for our brain functionality. The less you move your body, the less fresh blood and oxygen get pumped into the brain.
4. As we sit, the legs are getting more weak and limp. Therefore, you may experience poor balance and stability, which may raise the risk of injuries and bone fractures.
5. People who sit for more than 8 hours a day can develop fatty tissue cells known as preadipocyte cells. Thus, can lead to a bigger waistline and obesity.
6. Aside from the ability to burn calories when sitting, your blood sugar levels could also rise. Unfortunately, this may even lead to diabetes.
7. Many people have an office job therefore, the extended sitting period doubles the rate of cardiovascular disease.
8. Insulin is produced by the pancreas therefore, it helps carry glucose to our cells for energy. However, in an inactive body, this organ becomes over-productive and does not respond properly.
9. People who sit for extended periods are more at risk for herniated lumbar disks, due to the increased pressure on the spine.
10. The follow-up after the over strength of the muscles can emerge in neck pain and poor body posture.
11. When sitting for long periods through the day, you may create an imbalance of the soft disks between the vertebrae. Thus, reduce the flexibility in your back and can result in your back stiffening.
In order to prevent the damage of prolonged sitting, you may start practicing yoga, take a stroll around the office, start walking, and stretch every half an hour while at work. Reduce the negative impacts on your body and keep making a progress toward great health.