Watermelon has been a traditional summer treat, among many people. If you think that watermelons will just make you bloated, and have no nutritional value this may surprise you. In fact, watermelon is the most nutritious fruit per calorie, and is loaded with crucial phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
Besides tasting great, this fruit also strengthens the immune system and helps with asthma, diabetes, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis. After a hard day, watermelon is a perfect way to rehydrate your body.
Here are some of the many benefits provided by watermelon:
1. Kills dangerous microscopic organisms and cleanses your kidneys of toxins.
2. Thanks to their diuretic properties, watermelon seeds help in the elimination of kidney stones. Just grab 1 tablespoon of watermelon seeds, add them to a cup, and pour boiling water over them. Leave them steep in boiling water, and drink the water once it cools down.
3. Regular consumption of watermelon enhances vascular function, lowers high blood pressure and keeps it from rising afterward.
4. Since watermelons are high in vitamin C, they are able to prevent the hardening of the arteries.
5. Watermelon’s high water and fiber content prevent constipation and “keep things moving”.
6. Due to the lycopene, vitamin C, and other antioxidants watermelon protects against prostate cancer.
7. Potassium and magnesium relieve soreness and muscle pain. These 2 nutrients are vital for muscle recovery and pain relief, and always are a good choice after a workout as it puts your body in the recovery process.
8. Watermelons eliminate excess ammonia from the liver that aids in the detoxification of the body.
9. This fruit is also great for your skin, and vitamin A, a nutrient needed for sebum production, successfully maintains your hair and keeps it nourished.
There are many ways you can consume this healthy fruit. Most people like to add watermelon chunks to their salads, while others just like to munch on plain watermelon slices.